Monday, April 20, 2020

The Mask

I've been lucky enough through Special Olympics to travel to some amazing places.  From Ireland to Abu Dhabi, countries with great contrast, but wonderful people.  As such, it also means I've spent time in international airports,  there is a whole 'nother story) and something you'll see are masks.  Almost exclusively on the faces of travelers from Asian countries. While in Korea and Japan, I'd see the same.  I'd thought they looked silly and paranoid, but I didn't live in their world. Until now.

I'm wearing one.

I sat in the truck outside the grocery store.  First trip after things started getting really serious.  The store had taken precautions for employees and customers. They are keeping us alive. They were wearing masks.  I slipped mine on as I walked across the parking lot-feeling a little self conscious.  About half of the shoppers wore them, so I felt like-okay, this is how we live now.  I recognized a few people, but most didn't talk to each other.  Get in, get out, get what you needed.  Scurry through the store and keep your distance.  I guess one could only tell how others were feeling by looking at their eyes.

Out the door, wipe hands with sanitizer, wash them well at home.  The new normal.

By the 3rd and 4th trips, it wasn't a big deal.  This is what we have to do to beat this virus down.  Some sacrifice now for the good of everyone.  Then the protests start a few days ago.  Encouraged by our president.  He's claimed them as his people and is in favor of them in his own words and tweets.  Apparently, they are medical experts.  Apparently the rule of law doesn't matter, health department orders don't matter, they know better than our top endocrinologists.  They know better than the White Houses own recommendations to our governors.   They expose themselves and everyone else them come close to. They prolong this shutdown whether they want to or not-F'n no one wants this lockdown, but it has to be done.  I'm not willing to see any of my family or friends die so they can escape what we all have to do.  They will put a greater burden on our doctors, nurses and hospital staff and facilities.  We could be flattening out this sh*t, but their selfish acts will prolong it.

  Instead of coming together as a people, as a country, this is dividing us further.  It's us and them, and that is the last thing we need. 

I know I try to control only what I can control. It's all I can do. It's all any of us can do right now.  Stay the course. Wear the mask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2021-The Year in Pictures

 The year in pictures or my favorite ones of the year.  A yearly disclaimer, these are my favorites blended with ones I feel are good images...