Wednesday, April 8, 2020

History-Amos



Amos

I have no idea who Amos is. I can't make out a last name or year Amos may have carved his name into this rock.  I wonder-is this history or vandalism?  If Amos was here in 2019, I'd cry foul.  I have no doubt, but this was someone maybe over a hundred years ago. Why does that feel different?  I've done deep dives into platbooks from the late 1800s and early 1900s, but Amos remains a mystery.  Just some logger wandering by? A surveyor? An early settler after the virgin pine was harvested? 

These older names tend to stand out more than modern carvings.  Fire ravaged the area in the early 20th century and it almost appears the darkened sandstone was "baked" harder and preserved. I've seen the same at Levis Mound.  The letter styles are unmistakable and much different than the scribbling we do now a days.

These samples are remote, well off the beaten path and one would have to search them out to find them.  There are a few newer scratchings but the best last date was 1961.  I sure wish I knew more of the history of who left these marks. It was a tough time back in the 30's, when most of the land holdings went back to the state or county as farmers discovered the soils were poor. Homesteads died and the rail road moved on.

J.N. 1912
1918

16647?

T.T.
1906 plat


No comments:

Post a Comment

2021-The Year in Pictures

 The year in pictures or my favorite ones of the year.  A yearly disclaimer, these are my favorites blended with ones I feel are good images...