Monday, March 30, 2020

Reclaiming the Stone House



Just a quarter mile down the road is a dilapidated stone house.  Under part of it's facade and added on at some point in the long past, is the original log building.  The ground is slowly taking it back as it sinks into it's own lower level.

I've made countless pictures of this small building over the years.  I walk or drive past it all the time.  The story goes that it was once a small cheese "factory" and it used water from springs located on our land and the farm next door.  Looking at aerial images from the 1930's, this area was bare except for a few trees.  All farmland with a spattering of small homesteads.  Wooden and clay cisterns dot springs within 400 yards of where I now sit.  Those springs apparently provided the water for making cheese in this tiny place and still continue pumping out water to this day now draining away into a swamp.

I have no idea when anyone last inhabited this shack.  There is a 40 acre farm field nearby and  old rusting machinery scattered about, so I'm sure this was also the farmhouse.  An empty silo still stands just behind as a marker of what was once here in a different time.

Homey interior




Sinking back into the ground

No comments:

Post a Comment

2021-The Year in Pictures

 The year in pictures or my favorite ones of the year.  A yearly disclaimer, these are my favorites blended with ones I feel are good images...